Thursday, September 11, 2008

Somethings are just Unexpected...

Because this is my 5th year studying Chinese, I came here thinking that I may not know it all, but I had a pretty good idea what to expect. I told myself that I was above culture shock. Well...here are some things I didn't quite predict:


CHINESE DRIVERS!!!! Now take what the stereotype is in America and throw that out the window. Asians in America are awesome drivers compared to Chengdu (and everywhere else in China I assume)! There are no speed limit signs to be found! Do you think pedestrians have the right of way? Ok maybe you knew they didn't...but what about in the crosswalk when the sign says "walk"? Apparently not then either. It is dangerous business traversing the streets in China! It is expected that you push your way through traffic and cut people off...in fact, if you didn't you would never get to where you want to go! So I just hail a taxi, get in, and close my eyes and hope that the taxi driver's been driving long enough to know what he's doing. To my dear friend Cassi: I will never criticize your driving again! ;-)

FOOD! Um...I know why Asian people are so thin. I ate nothing but rice and noodles for 4 days straight. And although chopsticks are becoming easier, I have not yet mastered the art of "nazhe kuaizi" <--holding chopsticks. Also, I do not know how so many people could eat so much spicy food all the time! Sichuan is known for it spicy food. I think I'm just a wimp. I can understand getting used to the taste of spicy food, but when the spiciness *uh hmmm "leaves you"* that is just as bad as eating it. And I don't know how anyone could get used to that! Enough said.

CHINESE COLLEGE STUDENTS vs American college students. During the day they are aways in a hurry! They eat in about 1 min flat and it is not uncommon to see some of them running to class. <:-) But one of the cool things about them is how they act at night. At least in Chengdu, people are up all night just walking and talking and sitting outside their homes. It was after 11:00 and there were still couples taking late night strolls all over the place. It is also cool how many of them will go out of their way to talk to you because they want to practice their English, or want to help you with your Chinese. That is something you don't see in America- people going out of their way to help strangers. People just say, "This is America, learn to speak ENGLISH!!!" But that is definitely not the case in China. Another thing that I think is neat is how attuned Chinese college students are to the U.S. and Western music, style, and culture. They listen and watch all the music and movies we do. Can we say the same thing about their culture? Here are some random pictures that I never got around to posting from my travels that I think you might find interesting. Me and Crystal outside the van/bus/cart thing we drove around in when we toured the countryside before our cruise to Chongching. And below left is a far off Buddhist temple I though looked neat. Below right just looked like a funny sign. It was posted by a high railing...I think we get the point?

Want to know how they build bridges in China (probably other places too, but this was the first time I'd seen this)?

Papa Youtz- our prof who helped us get to Chengdu where Sichuan University is located. And then here is Lexi in traditional Chinese river garb...or something.

That's all for now. I'll post more later.

Bible Verse of the Day

John 14:16-17
"And I will ask the Father and he will give me...the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept Him because it neither sees Him or knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you."

Chinese Word of the Day

Mai dongxi 买东西 "shopping"

2 comments:

  1. Another great blog and I love the pictures! You'll have to eat the spicy food faster or do you think it will just *leave you* faster! Perhaps quicker is more bearable. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI,
    Thanks for the up date. Sounds like you are getting use to China. Enjoy your time in China. With Love, Grandma Scheiderer

    ReplyDelete