Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lost and Found

These last few days have been a bit stressful...

So Crystal goes shopping and has her purse stolen. Inside are the following items:
-1200 yuen (approx. $175 U.S. dollars)
-passport
-credit cards
-social security card
-driver's license
-PLU student id card
-translator
-cell phone
-meal card
-room key
-basically everything important

Awesome. :-/ So now she is freaked out and I'm calling all of her credit/debit card companies to put a stop on them since she has no phone. And I'm trying to get ahold of our parents while figuring out Skype for the first time...then realizing that the microphone on my headset doesn't work, so I can't really call anyone.

But that's not all...

Both of our computers decide to come down with some random viruses, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF ALL THIS CHAOS!!! Oh well, I guess God is just testing my patience...or Satan is trying to get on my nerves.

Moral of the story: Don't bring big, flashy purses into Chinese department stores and set it down to try on shoes...expect the unexpected.


But I did manage to find a few things along the way:

Chinese-speaking friends! These will come in handy when I need translators/homework help. Plus they will help immensely with my language! For some reason they thought Crystal and I were SoOoOo cool and pretty and all this other stuff... :) I never knew I was so interesting, but hey, I'll take it. I will post some pictures of them for you when I get more time.

I also am finding my way around campus. Now, I am a VERY directionally challenged person so this is a spectacular accomplishment for me.

There are these little corner stores that are awesome when you get late-night cravings because you are studying so hard ;)

I also bought 10 DVDs for the equivalent of $12 U.S. dollars-- TOTAL! Not bad if I do say so myself...only one of them didn't work

So that was my experience of the last few days. Obviously my computer is up and running again. I went with Crystal to the U.S. Consulate to help her get a new passport. I am registered at the Consulate so if there is another earthquake and I die, they know where to send my body :-/ (let's hope not) And I requested my absentee ballot so that I can do my civil duty and vote this November! :) (McCain all the way...Obama is a naieve babbling idiot who only has words to stand on, but no experience or actual concrete ideas to run with...Oh and the fact that he has no clue what he even believes spiritually!!! But that is another blog, another time)

Bible Verse of the Day

Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Chinese Word of the Day

PengYou
朋友
"Friend"

2 comments:

  1. Great BLOG! Sounds like you and your sister have GROWN/MATURED so much in a short time (whether you want to or not.... ah ha ha ha haha)! I'm glad you are both there to support each other as your family over here WANT to help but feel a bit helpless (except to do the best thing possible... PRAY!) Amen about voting... Go McCain! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far the wrath of the democrats has not fallen upon you. Be sure to sleep with a hard hat! Keep on blogging. I missed you at 9 or so Our time. I was at a meeting at SFM and then had extra boys when I got home.Love you!!

    ReplyDelete