Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bikes, Pandas, and New Friends,,,

So much has happened since I last blogged, so I think it's time I play a little bit of catch up. I have undergone some new developments-some unexpected- but its hasn't been all bad (for a change)...

I bought a new bike! Its green! Both mine and Crystal's bikes got "misplaced" at the same time so now we have new and improved ones. We also discovered that we can barter in Chinese better than we thought. I am open to names for my new bike...just let me know!

I was surprised by a trip to the Chengdu Panda Reserve! Oh my goodness, they are the cutest animals EVER! Here are just a few pics:


There were about 250 pandas at the reserve and about 1600 left in the wild. The reason being, pandas can only mate once a year and the females have only a 3 day window to breed. If the same were true for humans I'm sure we'd be endangered too ;-) No pressure though, men.

Another new development is my host family!!! They are really nice. The father is the director for this sport's arena. They have a 14-year-old daughter who is only one day older than Austin, my little brother. She's a bit taller though ;-) They know a little English, but aren't fluent, so this will be an opportunity for both of us to get plenty of practice speaking a new language. I don't have any pictures yet, but I will post them as soon as I take some.

I am also making quite a few Chinese friends. Yesterday two of them texted me randomly at the same time and asked if I wanted to go out with them. So, I turned it into a group outing. We went shopping and I returned home having only spent 100 yuen (about $15) on 3 new outfits, and some much-needed new undergarments ;-) It was amazing. The only downside was that because the store was so cheap, I was not allowed to try on any of the clothes before I bought them. I got to try them on after I paid, and if I didn't like them I could only exchange and not get my money back...but I was lucky so everything turned out ok.

My new classes are going great. I am really enjoying my language class. I think it is right at the level I need to be at. Our teacher is pretty young and hip. I would guess that she just graduated. We're going to all hang out one weekend (counting that there are only 3 people in my class). My Chinese Politics professor is a genius. He knows literally everything about Chinese history, culture, and government AND America's. It pretty crazy. He also teaches the American culture class at Sichuan University. It is one of the most popular courses amongst the Chinese students. I was wondering: what is it about Americans that is so interesting? So I am going to sit in on his class this next week. I'm pumped. My Culture & Society prof is really funny. He likes to teach us more than what we are supposed to be learning in class. He tried teaching us calligraphy and Taichi. We go off on some sweet tangents and he says that he's going to put all the other professors out of a job :) But speaking of Taichi, it is WAY harder than you'd think. Its like a mix of dance, yoga, and kung-fu. Very difficult. But our master is the cutest old man ever. He seems a bit frail, but I think he could kick even the biggest guy in our group's butt. Here's a picture:


So anyways, that's about all I have for now. Next week we are going to Tibet, so I'm sure I will have some fascinating things to write about when I get back! But until then...Zai Jian!!!

Bible Verse of the Day:

Hebrews 10:23
"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful."


Chinese Word of the Day:

Huan Ying 欢迎 "Welcome"

3 comments:

  1. Way to go on the latest blog. Now that is what I'm talking about! Someday, I want to go see the pandas with you. I'm so proud of how you are adapting to this new culture. Keep your mind and eyes wide open! How often will you be with your host family?? I'm looking forward to those pictures. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know which are cutier, the panda bears or the twin girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to hear about all you are doing. Sounds so much fun. Keep up the good work!!!!!!! With Love, Grandma.............

    ReplyDelete