Monday, September 8, 2008

A 5-star Cruise and Sub-standard Living: Part 2


OK wow so now I can finally catch up and tell you guys what I've been doing since I got to Sichuan University in Chengdu. My roomie is Lexi. She was in one of my writing classes freshman year, so we knew each other before. She's pretty cool, so I think this semester will be fun. Crystal is rooming with Tiara. She is very creative and spunky so I'm sure they will have a blast.

I'm not sure if you have heard about my dorm room so now its time for more good news, bad news:

Bad News: When we first arrived our toilet leaked. Good News: I realized that I can be an adequate impromptu plumber! :)
Bad News: ANT INFESTATION! Good News: When they didn't find food, they left us alone (for the most part)

Bad News: Too much furniture, and not enough of the right kind. We have one dresser
between the two of us and like weird footrest-cabinet things. Oh and its like REALLY ugly. I'm sorry but since when does red upholstery look good in any room? Definitely NOT feng-shui! Good News: I have friends who didn't have any furniture so we are just going to give it to them, and my rearranging skills made the room much more open and livable.
Bad News: Itchy 1000 year old beds, sheets, and curtains. Good News: TRUST-MART!!! Its the equivalent of Walmart in the States and you can buy anything you need. I bought new bedding, drawers, toiletries, etc. Everything I would want or need to make my room more comfy :)
Bad News: No dryers so we have to hang all our laundry in our room- no secret panties here! Good News: I don't need any quarters to do my laundry, 'cuz its free!!!

So now I a
m pretty much settled into my room. As you can see I have internet. I think I just may survive here in China. I also bought a bike (that's me outside my dorm), a cell phone (about $0.12 per minute for me if you would like to call but I don't know how much it would be for you), and some new shoes (they have my size!!!). We are slowing discovering the best places to shop and eat (non-spicy hotpot is fabulous!). I haven't really felt too much culture shock yet. Is there something wrong? Maybe its just because I'm expecting the unexpected... :)

Bible Verse of the Day

Luke 4:18-19 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor"

Chinese Word of the Day

Su she 宿舍 "dormitory"



1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah I am glad to see an update. I'd like more pics around campus. Perhaps a shot of your dorm showing your new beds or was it just new bedding? I must say that you've been very resourceful and awesome thus far as a foreign student. Let me know your class schedule soon. I love you!

    ReplyDelete