Monday, December 1, 2008

Benefit Dinner & (More) English Corner

So my time is winding down in China...only 16 days left until I am back home in Washington State! Time feels like it's flying by! I just finished my politics final paper on Mao Zedong which was the last major hurdle in my studies while abroad. I have already taken my Taichi final and passed with flying colors. All I have left is a calligraphy final (and I'm the Chosen One, so I'm not worried haha :] ), a Chinese language, and culture final. I feel relatively confindent in all of these subjects so hopefully its all smooth-sailing from here on out! This last week and a half have been pretty busy! Lots to do! And, as always, some unexpected things happen along the way.

I would now consider myself a regular at English Corner. Many Chinese students come to see me every Friday night and some have come expecting Crystal and I to perform a new Chinese song that we've learned...or didn't learn as the case had most recently been. But I have downloaded a few Chinese songs with the intention of compiling a Zhongwen Yinyue Mix (Chinese music mix). So anyways, its been a lot of fun. And it's cool to help students your own age learn English while I get to practice my Chinese! :D Here are some of the other "regulars":


The Saturday before last we had a benefit dinner with a variety show and auction to raise money for the victims of the Sichuan Earthquake. Crystal and I sang "Prayer of the Children." I feel like it went well. We had some quite interesting acts from raps about pandas (Xiong Mao- that means panda in Chinese) to a group of the boys doing a coreographed Nsync routine. I got a chance to see many of my Chinese friends and help a good cause. Here are some pictures:




I also brought my host father to church last Sunday. That was a pretty cool thing. I didn't understand much of the sermon, but I think he took something away from it. I think he wants to pursue Christ it further. Keep praying!

And just this last Saturday I went to go get a Qipao (chee-pow) made for me and Crystal. A Qipao 旗袍 is a traditional Chinese dress. Since Crystal was out of town, and we are the same size (relatively speaking) I just ordered two of the same designs, just different colors ;-) I'm really excited for them! I will post pictures as soon as I have a chance to wear it!

Apart from hanging out with my Chinese friends and practicing my language I have also been keeping myself busy with seasons 1-4 of The Office! I just finished season 2...maybe I have too much time on my hands. But hey...its getting cold outside, what else am I supposed to do while staying indoors??

Bible Verse of the Day
Romans 1:16
"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes..."

Chinese Word of the Day
Han Jia 寒假 Winter Vacation

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another great update. I'm glad you're winding down on the school work. That will make your last weeks less stressful. Personally, I just want you home! I know, I know, love is patient. I'm looking forward to seeing the dresses. Soon you'll have to post your blog for your Chinese friends. I'm very proud of how you embraced the culture and are making a difference in peoples' lives. Way to go...I'm sure He is smiling! Love you soooo much...see you soon.

    ReplyDelete