Tuesday, February 8, 2011

An Unexpected Volunteer Opportunity

February 6, 2011
               I have been going to the Haidian Church here in Beijing. This was my second week. Most people were gone because they have gone home for Chinese New Year. So, I made the hour trip to Haidian via the subway system (which I am getting quite good at!) and got there just in time for the English Fellowship. I met my new friend Lidan (her English name is Liz) there. Her English I would say is about as good as my Chinese. That is good because I feel like we are both able to learn a lot from each other. In this way, we don't end up using one language to dominate the conversation, so we both get a lot of practice. We went out to eat lunch at a noodle place across the street. Lidan asked me if I wanted to go back to church after lunch to help out with some power point things. I figured that I didn't have any plans, so I decided that I would tag along and help out where I could.
                But here is the cool part...I get there and they asked me what I could do. I told them that I was a Chinese studies and Communication major back in the U.S. So, guess what they asked me to do! Edit together their Christmas video! Now, if you know me, you know that this kinda stuff is what I really like to do! I know that for most people video editing is just about the most boring thing in the world, but I love it! I think it gives my perfectionism a good outlet. It was funny how they just asked me if I knew how to edit video and then were like, "Here ya go! Here's a video for you to edit!" So basically I am super excited to be able to volunteer in this way. God is just continuing to amaze me in all the different things that He has planned for me to do in China. I am seriously considering just going to church everyday and editing videos all day if none of my internships work out (which I am sure one will). I left church around 5:30 in the afternoon after nearly finishing the one-hour Christmas video. Time just flew by. It was awesome. I was surprised by two things: 1)how fast I picked up on the new video editing software that I hadn't used before (it was a lot easier than Adobe Premier which is what I was used to), and 2) that I actually was able to understand, for the most part, when the other media guy at the church was saying when he explained what he wanted the video to look like. Maybe my Chinese isn't as bad as I thought! :-)

Chinese Word of the Day

义工 Yi Gong: "Volunteer Work"

Verse of the Day

Isaiah 44:22
"
I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you."

No comments:

Post a Comment