Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ka la OK!

That means "Karaoke" to all you non-chinese speaking folk! China has some different customs than we do in America. Instead of going out to a movie on a Friday night, many Chinese people go to KTV or Karaoke hall. You get your own private room with a screen and a menu bar to chose any karaoke song you could possibly think of! You can also be served drinks and snacks. Since I LOVE to sing, I think this is my favorite thing about China yet (or at least one of my favorite things)! I think we should have these in the U.S.! It's pretty cheap too! Just over 3 U.S. dollars for like 4 hours!


Another thing that Chinese people don't do is celebrate Halloween. And rightly so, it is a bit confusing. Trying to explain what Halloween is, where it came from, why people dress up, and what the heck is "trick-or-treat!" ?? I had a bit of a hard time myself. They know enough about the commercial aspect of it, so we saw many pumpkins, spider webs, and random spooky things around, however, no one really knew why. For our Halloween, my classmates and I had a little party in our dorms. We had bobbing for apples, cake, and played that toilet paper mummy game. Halloween in China was an interesting experience!

So I'm not gonna lie, honestly this week I was a little bummed out. A lot of my classmates planned a weekend trip to Xi'an to see the Terracotta Warriors. Somehow I missed the memo that you had to find bus tickets/book a hotel on your own so now it's too late. It would've been cool to go, but oh well. Hopefully they comeback with some pretty sweet pictures. This weekend is pretty busy for me and I don't know if I actually have any extra money to have gone anyways...It just kinda sucked hearing everyone talk about it and get all excited for the trip when I am sitting right next to them and can't go. But whatever, I am in China, it's not like I'm not going to have anymore opportunities to see some sweet things, and I feel very privileged to have already done what I did, and seen what I saw!

I don't really want to bring this up, but I feel like I have to...the election. So, I wasn't an avid Obama supporter. Not because of his race or that some think he's a terrorist or whatever dumb things people say. Only because McCain's beliefs are more in line with my own, and that he has a good number of years under his belt which gives him more insight into certain issues. And no matter how many times people tell me, "separation of church and state, Sarah" I still ask this question: "but don't your religious beliefs help form your moral beliefs, and don't you use you moral beliefs to make decisions for our country?" I sure hope people use their moral judgment to pass laws! People can say whatever they want, but in my opinion, there is no way that you can completely separate church and state. You can take down monuments of the 10 commandments, and outlaw prayer in schools, and even take two little words out of the Pledge of Allegiance, but that won't change people's basis of moral judgment. But anyways, (getting off that tangent) I have no choice but to support the new leader of my country. I will support Obama and I hope that he guides our country through the necessary reformations that we need. He talked about change. I hope that the change that comes is good and that, for once, this politician actually walks the talk. That's all I have to say.

Bible Verse of the Day:
Matthew 6:34
"Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Chinese Word of the Day:
Ren wei 认为 "to think, consider"

2 comments:

  1. Be a good citizen. All governments are under God. Insofar as there is peace and order, it's God's order. So live responsibly as a citizen. If you're irresponsible to the state, then you're irresponsible with God, and God will hold you responsible. Duly constituted authorities are only a threat if you're trying to get by with something. Decent citizens should have nothing to fear.
    Do you want to be on good terms with the government? Be a responsible citizen and you'll get on just fine, the government working to your advantage. But if you're breaking the rules right and left, watch out. The police aren't there just to be admired in their uniforms. God also has an interest in keeping order, and he uses them to do it. That's why you must live responsibly—not just to avoid punishment but also because it's the right way to live.

    So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.

    BA BA....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog was interesting. Would they let me sing and not boo? I guess that's why they have set up private rooms.

    I remember a couple of girls in a singing contest who were really bummed out when they had to go to the end of the line. It wasn't fair or fun, but it turned out to be just what was supposed to happen. Due to those circumstances, other things were able to happen that they never could have imagined.

    Eventually, most of us learn that no human being can bring us happiness or even companionship all the time. Remember, Nehemiah 8:10 - And Nehemiah continued, "Go and celebrate with a feast of rich food and sweet drinks, and share gifts of food with people who have nothing prepared. This is a sacred day before our Lord. Don't be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!" If you know you are doing what the Lord wants you to do, then little else matters. You are a daughter of the King, so don't let anyone steal your joy! Love you...forever!

    ReplyDelete